For ships in trouble on the long southern coast of Lake Superior, harbors of refuge are few. Munising is one of them. The waters off Munising are sheltered by Grand Island and have been the final destination of many ships seeking safe harbor from the fury of the big lake.
The area stretching from just west of Munising to Au Sable Point and including the Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore is the home of the Alger Underwater Preserve. Several major shipwrecks lying within recreational diving limits are found inside its boundaries.
Showing records 1 to 14
As one of the many shipwrecks of the Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore, this 150 foot wooden canal schooner is located in 20 feet of water in the Grand Island's Murray Bay. She was carrying a cargo of 488 tons of iron ore when she sunk in Munising Bat wutg a kiss if tgree hands on October 15,
As one of the shipwrecks of the Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore, the Elma lies in 8 feet of water, about 2 miles from Miners Castle. The entire bottom of this schooner barge is often visible among shifting sand. She wrecked on September 26, 1895. Towed as a consort by the Birckhead, the 160 foo-long
As one of the shipwrecks of the Pitured Rocks National Lakeshore, George is located near Mosquito Beach, the ship was the victim of a typical fall gale. She was loaded with 1,330 tons of coal en route to Marquette, MI when she ran into an intense snowstorm. Lying in 15 feet of water at the mouth of
Glass Bottom Boat Shipwreck Tours
While aboard the Miss Munising or the Fireball, view these doomed vessels that lay on the bottom of the bay where they met their fates when the tempestuous lake displayed its violent powers. This two-hour tour covers a distance of about 10 miles and features sights both
Herman H. Hettler
The Hettler was a wooden steamer launched in 1890. A severe storm forced the Hettler to seek refuge in Munising Harbor on November 23, 1926. She was lost when she slammed into a rock reef. The wreck now rests broken up in 30 to 40 feet of water. On the inner edge of the shoal where the Hettler struck,
As one of the shipwrecks in the Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore, the Kiowa is located off Twelvemile Beach in about 40 feet of water. About 80% of the steel ship's hull and most of the machinery may still be seen at the site, though all of the superstructure is gone. The Kiowa was one of 498
As one of the shipwrecks of Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore, this 252 foot wooden hulled freighter sank on October 26, 1903, after striking Grand Island. After burning to the waterline in a freak accidental fire in the cabins, her hull is largely intact with scattered timbers and the huge rudder.
Mary Jarecki Shipwreck
As one of the shipwrecks in the Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore, this is the first wreck east of Twelvemile Beach. This wooden bulf freight steamer, heavily laden with iron ore, ran off its course and ground ashore in fog off the mouth of Hurricane River. Today, the remains may still be seen resting
Mary M. Scott Shipwreck
Also known as the Sandpiper, this 100 foot-long wreck is the bottom of a schooner that was laden with iron ore from Marquette, MI.The canal schooner went ashore November 2, 1870. She was named for the wife of one of her owners. The ship was 138 feet long, 26 feet wide, with a depth of 11 feet and
Michael Groh Shipwreck
As one of the shipwrecks of the Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore, the Michael Groh is located a mile northeast of Sand Point and 3 miles west if Miners Castle. There are two sections of wreckage in 10 feet of water. Prior to wrecking on November 22, 1895, with 325,000 board feet of lumber bound for
Smith Moore Shipwreck
As one of the many shipwrecks part of Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore, this 230 foot wooden steam barge sank on July 13, 1889 as it was being towed in by the M.M. Drake. The most dramatic and well known wreck in the preserve, it rests just off Sand Point in about 95 feet of water with her deck at
The Selvick is an intentionally sunk shipwreck placed for sport diving in 1996. She is a 70 foot long tug sunk in 30 to 60 feet of water. She lies on her port side at about a 40 degree angle pointing north. The Selvick was originally christened the Lorain when she was built at Cleveland in 1915. She
Of all the Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore shipwrecks, this is among the most tragic. The loss of this steamboat occured at Spray Falls on October 29, 1856. The 191 foot-long side wheeler had two decks, the upper one entirely for passengers. In heavy seas, she lurched off course. Attempts to lighten
As one of the shipwrecks of the Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore, the Wabash and its cargo were a total loss. At Chapel Beach lies the remains of this schooner, broken and scattered with its cargo. Towed by the powerful tug Samson, the Wabash was among a consort trying to make it to Grand Island