Below are helpful tips for paddling The Great Waters provided by the Les Cheneaux Chamber of Commerce:
- Always study the shoreline on the chart and review exit points.
- Plan your trip before you leave shore and inform someone of your plans.
- Practice your paddling skills and know what you are doing.
- Wear a U.S. Coast Guard approved personal flotation device.
- Travel with a companion and make yourself conspicuous. Kayaks and canoes are not easily seen by other boats.
- Dress appropriately for the weather and for the water temperature.
- Hypothermia is a killer!
- Be prepared for emergencies. Extra items to carry with you might include a paddle, rain gear, lights, and a compass.
- Respect private homes and property. Please take breaks only on publicly owned land or designated access sites. For information on where those sites are in the Les Cheneaux area visit www.lescheneaux.org, www.landtrust.org or call the Les Cheneaux Visitor Center: 906-484-3935
- Anticipate changes in the weather. Early morning fog is common.
- Use common sense and caution, and have a great time!